Sourdough Gingerbread Cake
Here is something different in sourdough cookery….Gingerbread Cake. Don’t skimp on the butter or try to use less sugar, just bake it up how it is presented here and you will love it! The center of the cake always sinks down a bit, that is the part everyone fights over,as it is thick, dense, rich and satisfying. So don’t be annoyed when you see it sinking down a bit. Also this cake is WAY better the next day. So plan on baking it up one day and letting it set until the next day to serve. It gets richer flavored and denser in the bite quality.
Sourdough Gingerbread Cake:
In large bowl( bowl#1) cream together using a whip:
- Brown Sugar- 8 oz/226 grams
- Dark Molasses- 11 oz/311 grams
- Soft Butter – 8 oz/226 grams
Then add to the same bowl:
- 2 large eggs
- Sourdough starter @ 100% hydration- 9 oz/255 grams
Whip together until creamy and smooth. Then:
In bowl #2 stir together well:
- All purpose flour – 7 oz/200 grams
- Whole wheat flour- 1.7 oz/50 grams
- Ground Ginger- 1 Tablespoon- .3 oz/9 grams
- Ground Cinnamon- 2 teaspoons- .2 oz/6 grams
- Baking Powder- 2 teaspoons- .4 oz/11 grams
In bowl 3 (small bowl) mix together:
- Hot water (around 117F) – 3.5 oz/99 grams
- Baking Soda- 1 teaspoon – .2 oz/6 grams
Add the contents of bowl #3 to bowl #1 and beat well with whip.
Next add contents of bowl #2, the dry ingredients to bowl #1 and whip the dry ingredients in just until smooth and creamy.
Pour the batter into a greased 9 x 13″ pan and bake at 350F/176C for approximately 45-50 minutes. Check the center part to see if it is done by pressing lightly with your finger , if it springs back it is done, also insert a small sharp blade into the cake, if it comes out clean it is done. Cool completely until the next day. Serve with whipped cream or your favorite lemon or hard sauce.